Scenic Driving Tour

The Flagler County Courthouse, a neo-classical style building designed by Wilbur B. Tally and built by O.P. Woodcock was dedicated in 1927. It exemplifies the classical design tradition of American public buildings of the early 20th century. The courthouse was built to serve a very young Flagler County which itself had only been created in 1917. Although this was the county’s second courthouse, it was the first built solely for this purpose. It was refurbished in the early 1980s and is currently being assessed for another renovation and not open to the public at this time.

Holden House is located across Moody Boulevard from the Flagler County Courthouse.

This house is located on the north side of East Moody Boulevard between Church Street and Pine Street. It was built in 1918 for the Holden’s as a wedding gift, and they continued to reside there until the 1970s. Mr. Holden was the town pharmacist and actively involved in local business, civic and political affairs. Constructed in the Craftsman Bungalow style, it was created utilizing coquina, a native stone made of shell material. One of the unique features of this home is that the gables in the front of the house and the sun porch are inset with antique colored glass from Holden’s Apothecary and old pieces of dishes.

Currently, this building is known as the Holden House Museum, owned by Flagler County and managed by the Flagler County Historical Society. The Historical Society also operates a museum and unique research library in an annex behind the house. The annex contains clothing, furniture, books, maps, photographs and other artifacts of early Flagler County. There is even a searchable computer family database of over 235,000 names from Northern Florida and Southern Georgia available. The Holden House Museum and Annex are open every Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

The City Hall is directly behind the Courthouse (no need to drive or re-locate your vehicle).
This facility is currently used as the City Hall for Bunnell. It was built in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), Franklin D. Roosevelt’s program for public works projects. The building was made of locally quarried coquina. Over the years, it has been used as a civic center, library and for local cultural events. Enjoy a walk around Lake Lucille in front of the building or enjoy the shade trees scattered around the property.

Travel west on SR 100, turn left at US 1, turn left on Old Dixie Highway and then right on St. Mary’s Place. The church will be approximately 200 yards on the left.

Located in the community of Korona, St. Mary’s Catholic Church was founded in 1914 by Polish immigrants from the north who were seeking a fresh start free of ice and snow. The settlers, focusing on strong family traditions such as God, honor and country, made St. Mary’s Catholic Church the focal point of the community. The original structure still stands near an expanded church facility and is the oldest church in Flagler County. A shrine to St. Christopher (Patron Saint of travelers) stands next to the original church.

Travel back (west) from Old Dixie Highway to US 1 and go north through Bunnell to CR 13. Take a left on CR 13 and drive until it intersects with CR 205 and Old Brick Road. Turn left onto CR 205. The cemetery will be 9/10 of a mile from this intersection on the left and is marked with signage at the entrance.

This wooded, county cemetery was established in 1875 and includes headstones dating back to the 1870s. Many of the founding fathers of Flagler County are buried in this small community cemetery including Isaac I. Moody, Jr. who was the first state representative of Flagler County.

When departing Espanola Cemetery, turn right, return to the crossroads of CR 205, CR 13 and Old Brick Road. Proceed past the stop sign, north on Old Dixie Highway to Old Brick Road (be sure to heed the “Travel at Your Own Risk” sign. Road can be difficult for some vehicles).

The Old Brick Road (CR 13) stretches for eleven miles north from the community of Espanola. This road was part of the Old Dixie Highway which extended from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, south to Miami Beach, Florida, and was considered a super-highway in its day. The road is composed of a packed shell foundation topped with a 9-foot wide brick roadbed and concrete curbs. Each brick was hand laid. The road, in this part of Florida, was part of a 66 mile project that was completed in 1917.

Option 1: Travel north on Old Brick Road to CR 204 (if road conditions allow). Turn right on CR 204,
then turn right on US 1 southbound to find the entrance gate 500 feet north of Old King’s Road on the right.

Option 2: Follow CR13 back southeast to US1 from the crossroads with CR205 and Old Brick Road. Turn
left on US 1 northbound to find the entrance gate 500 feet north of Old King’s Road on the left.

Mr. John Hewitt arrived in this area in 1768 and constructed a sophisticated water powered sawmill just south of Pellicer Creek which fed stored water into an earthen dam. The mill provided much needed lumber during the American Revolution. Much of the sawmill was burned in 1813 during the Patriot War but the site today still contains remains of earthworks, houses, roads and other archaeological features. It is located southwest from the old Fort Fulton, which served as a fort during the Seminole War in 1836. Lumber for many of the old homes in St. Augustine came from this mill.

Open Wednesday – Sunday; 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Go south on US 1 (approximately 500 feet) and turn left on Old King’s Road. The entrance to the museum is approximately 500 feet from US 1 on the north side of Old King’s Road.

The museum’s mission is to preserve Florida’s agricultural past. The museum hosts a 1890s pioneer homestead, an early 20th century dry goods store, five restored buildings from a 1930s citrus operation and a 5,000 square foot dairy barn formerly belonging to Governor Millard Caldwell. This facility provides a wonderful example of Florida’s early “Cracker culture” from the days when cattle farming and citrus production dominated the state’s agricultural scene. Besides learning about Florida’s agricultural history through hands-on farm activities, livestock interaction and guided horseback trail rides are available.

Please visit for more information.

Open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Admission Fee (Adults-$5/Children-$3).

Travel southeast on Old King’s Road (left) out of the main entrance.

In 1765 Old King’s Road was built by British engineers utilizing the original path that Native American tribes used to migrate along the east coast. It ran 106 miles from Colerain, Georgia on the Florida/Georgia border and connected to roadways going to Savannah and northeast. It remained the main entryway for Florida from the American Revolution to the 1918 period and ran to the new (back then) colony and British settlement of New Smyrna.

Ultimately this trail became a road for settlers in stage coaches, horse-drawn wagons and eventually station wagons bringing travelers to the region. Most of the original roadway has been paved or re- located. Today it is a primary arterial that travels from US 1 southward into Volusia County ending at the Old Dixie Highway. This old route played many roles in the Seminole War of 1835, the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and the Civil War (it was a prime route for herds of cattle being sent north to feed the Confederate Army). Many famous United States Army generals of the 1835 era, famous naturalist James Audubon and Seminole warrior Osceola travelled this route.

Travel southeast from the Florida Agricultural Museum on Old King’s Road to entrance (just east of
the I-95 overpass).

This aquatic preserve comprises 7,100 acres of upland, waterway and marsh. Walking through this area is like walking back in time. Pellicer Creek is designated an Outstanding Florida Waterway and a State Canoe Trail linking Faver-Dykes state Park and Princess Place Preserve. Fishing access is provided via public fishing piers.

Drive east on Old King’s Road and turn left on Princess Place Road (follow the signs for Princess Place Preserve).

Princess Place Preserve is a beautiful park managed by Flagler County Parks and Recreation and is located adjacent to the Pellicer Creek Aquatic Preserve. Henry Cutting purchased the land in 1886 and constructed a large hunting lodge on the property. Two years later he married Angela Mills who would outlive Mr. Cutting and re-marry a Russian prince, Boris Scherbatoff, in 1923. The property was subsequently designated as the “Princess Place,” and the lodge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Amenities include a canoe launch, kayak rentals, ADA accessible hiking trails, campsites (primitive and equestrian) and large picnic areas. Park Hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. More info is available at

Turn right (northwest) on Old King’s Road to US 1. Travel south (left) on US 1 to the Cultural Center on left.

The African-American Cultural Society, Inc. is housed at the center. Its vision is to “preserve and perpetuate the cultural heritage of the African Diaspora through educational, artistic, intellectual and social activities and services deemed to be in the best interest of the entire community.”

Travel south on US 1 to SR 100 (Moody Boulevard) 4.5 miles to the traffic light. Turn east (left) on SR 100 and end at 805 East Moody Boulevard on the right.

This home is located on the south side of East Moody Boulevard between Chapel Street and Peach Street. It was built in 1918 in a Frame Vernacular style of architecture. Mr. Deen was an early Irish potato farmer who became the Department of Agriculture Farm Demonstrator for Flagler County. A small wood-frame children’s playhouse is located east of the Deen home and was constructed to mimic the architecture of the main house. This is a private home.

From the post office parking lot, travel east on SR 100 (Moody Boulevard), turn north (left) on Chapel Street, turn right onto Howe Street, then turn left into the school yard parking lot. An old brick schoolhouse can be seen behind the fence, and can be viewed from circular drive on Howe Street (800 East Howe Street).

This building is located on the Bunnell Elementary School campus (Flagler County School’s property), so access is restricted. This school house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in February 2007. It is the former Agricultural Building, built in 1938 with Work Progress Administration (WPA) funds from the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration for the Future Farmers of America (FFA) program.

More info is available in the Bunnell Walking Tour Brochure and a descriptive video is available at the following website:

Leave school property, travel south on North Orange Street, left on Moody Boulevard (SR 100)
to Briarwood Drive. Go right on Briarwood Drive, down dirt road. Homestead is 100 yards on the left.

Recently purchased by Flagler County, these massive oak trees have stood for close to 500 years as sentinels looking out over this land. Flagler County is developing this area as a future county park.

Back to Moody Boulevard (SR 100). Turn right on Moody to Old King’s Road (3.2 miles). Turn left at entrance to park on left (Bulow Boulevard).

Bulow plantation was a prosperous plantation in the 1820’s with more than 150 slaves working an 800 acre area along Old King’s Road. It created molasses for making rum, raw sugar and indigo dye, and they were floated down Bulow Creek to be shipped north. The huge sugar cane crushing mill was constructed of local coquina rock, utilizing the latest technology of the time and even included a steam engine. Upon his father’s death in 1823, sixteen year old John Joachim Bulow took over management of the complex until it was burned and destroyed during the Seminole War of 1835.

Today, the ruins of the huge mill still remain (showing traces of the fire that destroyed it) within the Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park, and an interesting historical display is located north of the mill ruins. Hiking is available via the Bulow Woods Hiking Trail, and canoeing on Bulow Creek is another popular recreational activity.

Open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. More information can be found at the following site:

Are you ready to step back in time and glimpse how Native Americans and early colonists lived and experienced when they developed their settlements? If so, then get ready for a visit through America’s History along the Heritage Crossroads: Miles of History Heritage Highway. During your travels you will see evidence of Native American tribes, colonial settlement, cemeteries that hold the remains of Flagler County’s founding families, and many examples of historic architecture from the 1800/1900’s. Step inside our historical Museums and let local historians provide stories and photos of what life was like in Florida before the interstate or personal computers. Modern day Florida is remarkably different from how life used to be in this part of the country. Stop at one of the many quaint cafes for some southern style food and hospitality, but don’t forget the sweet tea! We hope you will enjoy your visit.

This tour guide allows you, the visitor, to set your own pace while you experience many of our special heritage resources. This tour offers a small sampling of what our community has to offer.

For a PDF download of this itinerary click here.